On Friday, August 25th, all first-year students in our BS in Business and Economics degree program will convene for the College of Business and Economics (CBE) College Convocation.
CBE College Convocation is designed to ensure all business students:
- Are recognized and welcomed for the first time as the CBE’s Class of 2021 – the newest members of our CBE family.
- Have their schedules ready to start classes on Monday, August 28th.
- Meet their H.A.W.K.S. Peer Mentors in person and know how to reach their mentors if they have any questions.
- Be sure they know who their academic advisor is in the CBE Undergraduate Programs Office and how to reach their advisor for help if they need it.
CBE College Convocation is a day of events that starts at Zoellner Performing Arts Center in the morning, and moves students to various locations in the Rauch Business Center (RBC) in the afternoon. CBE College Convocation is a series of events that runs from 10 a.m. until approximately noon for all business students, with optional sessions throughout the afternoon.
- Morning Check In: Every business student will receive a folder containing critical academic information when they check in at Zoellner immediately before CBE College Convocation starts. Folder contents include degree requirements, overviews of important co-curricular offerings, and a business card including critical contact information for each student’s academic advisor in the CBE Undergraduate Programs Office. Many CBE students hold on to their folder throughout their academic career at Lehigh, as it an excellent resource and great place to store important documents related to their degree.
- Welcoming Remarks: Convocation is the first time the CBE’s Class of 2021 will convene as a group. Accordingly, Convocation starts with a welcoming address from Georgette Chapman Phillips, the Dean of the College of Business and Economics. Katrina Zalatan, Associate Dean for Undergraduate Programs, will then overview academic expectations, introduce the academic advisors and H.A.W.K.S. Peer Mentors, and moderate a question-and-answer session with the undergraduate student officers of Lehigh’s chapter of Beta Gamma Sigma International Honor Society for students of business.
- Small Group Meetings: After the welcoming remarks, students will walk to the Rauch Business Center to attend small group sessions with their H.A.W.K.S. Peer Mentors. The H.A.W.K.S. will email their mentees before they arrive on campus, but Convocation will be the first time mentors and mentees meet face to face. H.A.W.K.S. will overview basic expectations and start-up information and answer any questions students may have about their transition.
- Optional Session for Minor Course Schedule Adjustments: Most students will have course schedules that require no adjustments when they arrive on campus. Some students, however, may need to make minor changes at Convocation to be ready for the start of classes. The H.A.W.K.S. Peer Mentors will be available to help students make simple schedule changes online in the RBC. Students will receive a personal identification number (PIN) in their folder; a PIN is necessary for them to enter the online scheduling system to make schedule changes.
- Optional Advising Sessions: Students will also have the option to meet with various advisors for additional support if they feel the support is necessary. The accounting department chair will be available to provide a general orientation session to students who may be interested in pursuing an accounting major and achieving their CPA. Students with questions about their math placement may meet with a special calculus advisor in the math department. The CBE Undergraduate Programs Office will also hold open “walk in” office hours from 1:00 to 4:00 p.m. for students who need to speak with their academic advisors before the start of classes.
Support for our first-year students doesn’t stop when Convocation ends! The CBE Undergraduate Programs Office is open every weekday except University holidays from 8:15 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. We are located on the third floor of the Rauch Business Center (RBC 385 and 395), immediately above the Common Grounds cafeteria and below the Center for Career and Professional Development. Our advising office hours, instructions to make an appointment online via AdvisorTrac, and our contact information are posted to the CBE Undergraduate Programs Office department web site.